Remote Literacy Learning: Promising Practices for Online Classrooms
Summer 2020 Open Institute
As educators continue to integrate reading and writing into all forms of remote learning — and grapple with the emotional aspects of teaching under current conditions — the Chippewa River Writing Project is offering a two-week, 36-hour intensive professional development experience from June 15 to 26, 2020.
- June 15 to 26, 2020
- M-F, 9:00 AM to 12:15 (via Zoom)
- Additional Activities as Arranged
Through whole- and small-group Zoom sessions as well as innovative asynchronous activities that will model best practices in online literacy learning, we welcome 20 to 24 teachers to gain insights on best practices for remote learning. We will engage in daily, synchronous work from 9:00 AM to 12:15 PM on weekdays, with additional opportunities scheduled at your convenience or in a fully asynchronous format.
- Learn with colleagues through synchronous, Zoom-based teaching demonstrations.
- Write both personally and professionally as we consider our responses to remote learning.
- Collaborate with fellow teacher-writers in an online writing group.
- Design a series of flexible lessons/unit plans that you can use during the 2020-21 school year.
36 SCECHs (pending approval) will be available as part of the registration costs. The institute can also be taken for 3 graduate credits. The total cost for CMU’s graduate application and the three credits will be $1400. For participants interested in joining the institute as graduate students, please do NOT complete the registration form below. Instead, contact Dr. Troy Hicks <email@example.com>.
Registration Costs and Guidelines
Enrollment this summer is limited to 24 participants, so sign up now using our secure web form where we will ask for your contact information, and then you will be asked to click through to CMU’s Quik Pay system for billing.
- Registration cost, before May 29: $250
- Registration cost, May 30 to June 11: $300
- Registration closes at 11:59 PM EST on Thursday, June 11.
- Registrants who need to cancel, and request to do so before Monday, June 8, 2020 at midnight EST will be refunded, minus a $25 processing fee.
- After June 8, registrations can be transferred to another educator, but no refunds will be offered.
Questions? Please contact Dr. Troy Hicks <firstname.lastname@example.org>